Thursday, September 10, 2020

A Child With Rose-Colored Glasses

According to the dictionary, rose-colored glasses are: a happy or positive attitude that fails to notice negative things, leading to a view of life that is not realistic.

Hmm… what is “realistic”, anyway? But about this  in a minute.

In my youth, people repeatedly told me that looking at life through rose-tinted glasses, like I did, is irresponsible, childish and will lead to disappointment, mistakes, blunders, blah-blah-blah, etc., etc. According to them life was a battlefield, dog-eat-dog world; so I had to forget all “that nonsense”, you know, “grow up and take life more seriously” (although, why the assumption that I was not serious? I can be serious and chipper at the same time), learn to calculate, manipulate, force the matters, control events, grab life by its horns... What horns?! (sigh) What is worse – at some point I believed them. Yup. I betrayed myself, took off my rose-colored glasses and started getting ready for the battle. (Fanfares!)

Ah! It was exhausting, simply exhausting. And, of course, none of it worked. It was a good lesson, however, and maybe if I did not take off my pink-tinted glasses and did not try to grab life by its horns (which is where?!!) – I would have never appreciated them fully. But then again – who knows.

After many beatings I took from life, after I became weary of not being myself, I realized that not wearing the pink-tinted glasses and seeing the world “
realistically” does not make one any happier, even if they do reach “success”, fame, riches... – they still make the same mistakes, they still stumble, they still fall, get up, fall, get up… The only difference is that it is a lot more fun with the glasses on, when the world is more beautiful, colorful and friendly.

OK, so what is reality? What does it mean –
leading to a view of life that is not realistic? According to one of the definitions in the dictionary, reality is: the state of things as they are, rather than as they are imagined to be. Ambiguous much? 

Fine, let’s do this, let's play their game: picture a rainy day…

Scenario 1: A man, who is in love, is walking under the rain, he is happy, the rain is his friend, the man literally dances in the rain.
Scenario 2: A homeless person’s cardboard roof collapses because of the same rain, he feels forlorn, he curses his fate.

Which of these two scenarios is the reality and which is imagined?

No, I’m sorry, but don't even try convincing me that reality is objective. It is absolutely subjective. Having
a happy or positive attitude that fails to notice negative things is crucial to me. Seeing the world through pink-colored glasses may not change the events and the bad things are still there (although, this is a very! arguable point), but why would I pay attention to anything negative, when there is so much positive around?

It is an “Every cloud has a silver lining” kind of deal, or “One door closes, another opens” or “Nothing is bad without being good for something” or 
“Չկա չարիք առանց բարիք“ or Нет худа без добра”. Take your pick.

Anyway… There came a day when I put my rose-tinted glasses back on, and the world around me started breathing again. What a relief! I was always mature, but I plan not to “grow up” again, after all being child
like is totally different from being childish.

The thing is when kids play – they do so very seriously. They don’t think playing is unimportant or meaningless. No, no, no. They consider having fun utterly serious business indeed. My niece once said to me “I would like to read more, but I am so busy playing, I just don’t have the time.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” I hear ‘serious’ people saying, “it’s all very good, but life is not a game.”

Says who? Where do you get this information? Is there a textbook about life you aren’t telling us about and are reading alone, under your bed covers? (eye roll)

Hindus call life Lila – play. Jesus said “[…] unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven”.

So, I say 
– let’s put on our rose-colored glasses and have some serious fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Child With Rose-Colored Glasses

According to the dictionary, rose-colored glasses are: a happy or positive attitude that fails to notice negative things, leading to a view ...