Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why do we read?

Have you noticed that most people who read are somehow more connected with their surroundings, than those who don't? I am not referring to people who gobble up information as if they were Emile from Ratatouille (you know... the brother?), without knowledge or sincere appreciation for what it is they are reading; like big grinders.
And I'm not talking about the ones who abuse received information to gain power and then abuse the latter in turn.

No. I'm talking about the other readers. The people who gain seemingly unnecessary knowledge from books. People who cannot not read, but wouldn't be able to tell you why it is they read in the first place .

I had asked myself that question for years - "Why do I read? What's the point?" This was a puzzle I failed to solve. But what are friends for if not for this kinda thing, huh?

And so, I asked the one person, who I knew would give me an answer I liked (I never like answers I don't like), my friend S.P. His reply came promptly: "Perspective", he said. "We see the situation from a different perspective". And like an avalanche, triggered by his answer, the sub-answers to all my sub-questions tumbled onto me. "Perspective".

The characters in the books are not us. They seldom do what we would have done in their situation. They don't see the intricacies we do, yet see others hidden from us. The writers show different shadows to us, the character's point of view. There are adventurers and lovers, villains and regular folk, mothers, superheros, toys, animals, inanimate objects... There is no list to list all the creatures the reader gets to connect with and sympathize with through the books.

And then life happens. And you notice that you no longer evaluate people as you might have done before. Things don't seem as obscure or as puzzling as they did before. Connection level changes. Lots of things come into focus.

And then there was one last question. "Why is it so important to change my perspective, to heighten the connection level?"
"Ummm... It feels good", I answered.

6 comments:

  1. Perspective is a good way to put it; I like that. I would say that it shows us how to think and see differently. And when you learn to do that, then you can see the world in 4D. That makes you pay closer attention to it and think more about it because it is not boring and one sided. You look and see what other see and challenge your self with that, even if you don't change your own position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    Exactly. I believe through reading we learn to understand others without necessarily sharing their opinions. 4D, as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I like your style and the language, especially! I also find that reading gives you the experience (not always useful or positive) which makes you a richer person - you live more lives than just yours, and all the books and characters you've read through become part of your newer, more diverse inner world. Do you mind if I follow ?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Tatev. Yes, do, please, follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes reading gives us the answers to the questions we did not know we were asking. And yes it does give us insight and perspective in such a way that we would not have otherwise. There is so much thought, insight and information that go into creating a well rounded complex character.

    By the way I do enjoy your writing and I can't help but read. "Perspective"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you're right, it does answer unasked questions. Well put.
    Glad you are reading and liking my blog.

    ReplyDelete

A Child With Rose-Colored Glasses

According to the dictionary, rose-colored glasses are: a happy or positive attitude that fails to notice negative things, leading to a view ...