Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Animation translations

I really like watching Japanese animation. It all started with "Spirited away", which is (in my opinion) the best animated film of all time. It even surpasses "Finding Nemo", which is brilliant.
There is one thing that amazes and angers me about the Japanese animated films - it's the translation. Most of the time I watch the films in their original language. That way I am able to hear the intonations and the voice that the filmmakers intended for the film.
Besides, the true essence is in its original form.

But I do sometimes "watch" the films in the background, while doing housework or working on my projects. Or because I don't feel like reading the subtitles or want to watch the film much more closely. In these cases I switch on to the dubbed version. And here are 2 reasons I don't like them.

1. WHY do the English actors and directors make the characters sound shrill? WHY?! oh, WHY!? do they scream? In the Japanese version the actors may shout, but because of their language, their native intonation and the pronunciation they sound somehow calmer and rarely like Banshees, which is pretty much how the dubbed versions sound. It's annoying to hear the nasty "attitude" in their voices.
2. For some reason the translations have "pockets" of completely different text. I have experimented on these films. Here is how I did it: in "set up" choose the English language with English subtitles and see the difference for yourself. Here is one example:
In "Spirited away" the Japanese version: Chihiro/Sen tells Lin "I'm going to go see Kamaji", to which Lin answers "I wouldn't. He's in a foul mood, because they woke him up". Then WHY is the English version completely different?
Sen: "I'm going to go find Haku". Lin: "Not Haku again!" Why the change? What's the point? Is it to romanticize the story? In that case, aren't we watching a different film? Besides, the real version makes more sense, anyway.

Plus, I find that the English text is much more explanatory than the Japanese version. As if they are translating for a "stupid" audience, which cannot put two and two together.
And for that "stupid audience" I am repeating: WHY?! oh, WHY?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Child With Rose-Colored Glasses

According to the dictionary, rose-colored glasses are: a happy or positive attitude that fails to notice negative things, leading to a view ...